Weekly Meditation Series
Deepen your practice. Cantor Julie Newman will lead a pilot Jewish mindfulness meditation practice group on Tuesday evenings, May 7, May 21, May 28, Jun 4, Jun 11, Jun 18 at Rodef Shalom Congregation. Pilot will be donation-based.
Learn More On Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/events/358028341583897/
Heart-Opening Practices for Challenging Times: Cultivating Resilience through Jewish Mindfulness
helps us to cultivate habits of heart and mind that have been shown to
foster emotional and mental balance, resilience, and empathy. During
these painful, turbulent times, all of us can benefit
from concrete techniques that help us meet the challenges we experience
with greater ease and compassion. And, though we may not have known
this, those techniques are available to us within the Jewish wisdom
Join Rabbi Sam Feinsmith of the Institute for Jewish Spirituality and Cantor Julie Newman of Tiferet for a three-hour introductory session on Jewish mindfulness practice. The session includes a conceptual introduction to Jewish mindfulness practices and the neuroscience of resilience, some brief periods of meditation practice and reflection, and an opportunity to practice mindfulness skills in an interpersonal setting.
Skills you will learn include:
- Intention setting
- Cultivating present-moment, non-judgmental attention
- Becoming more aware of your body as an ally in cultivating resilience and wellbeing
- Cutting through unhealthy ruminations and thought patterns that drive our anxiety, stress, and emotional overwhelm
- Generating “sacred” emotions such as loving-kindness, joy, awe, compassion, and tranquility
- Listening deeply with full, non-judgmental presence
- Showing up more authentically in relationships
- Connecting Jewish wisdom with your lived experience
No prior experience with mindfulness practice or Jewish learning needed. Come as you are; all are welcome!
Time: Saturday, May 4, 3:00pm – 6:00pm
Location:Congregation Beth Shalom, 5915 Beacon St, Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Registration is required, but there is no fee.